Saturday, July 23, 2011

Look at your Father when He's talking to you!

Our family morning prayer routine was interrupted last week because of our family's involvement in two different Catholic camps. My husband and oldest daughter attended Holy Mass at another parish. I and the rest of the kids participated in morning devotions with others in VBS.

Wanting to hear the daily readings one morning, I turned on EWTN and proceeded to get myself made up for the day. Br. Leo read the first reading and the lead the responsorial psalm. But, when Brother sang the Alleluia before the Gospel...I heard my soul being called. I'll never forget it....I was leaning over my bathroom counter into the mirror applying my mascara. I hear Him calling me out of the mirror and into His Presence. As every woman knows, once the process of applying mascara begins it must be carried out to the end!
Therefore, being in the middle of my plans for the moment I did not responded with obedience. It was more like a..."yep...I hear you...just a sec...be right there...coming...." but not moving. Then I suddenly saw myself in a new way. I stood there looking at myself looking at myself! While reflecting on my imagine I heard a voice inside my heart tell me, “You want to hear  God, but won't take your eyes of yourself!"

In that moment I realized the root of all my stress and anxiety and lack of peace was ME!   I know God has a plan for every moment of my life. What I have forgotten is that I am not to depend on myself for the fulfillment of His plans. I need to stop paying so much attention to what I am doing…and focus on what He is doing through me.

And when my Heavenly Father wants to talk to me....I should at least look in His direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment